TOPIC: Ombudsman publishes list of ‘private entities with public authority’ that falls under the jurisdiction of the institution
Philipsburg; Pursuant to the Constitution of Sint Maarten the Ombudsman is charged to investigate the conduct / behavior of administrative bodies, which includes private entities with public authority. As a follow-up to the very positive and productive meetings held in the period January to March 2017 with the various stakeholders regarding the authority of the Ombudsman pertaining to Private entities with Public authority, the so called ‘zelfstandige bestuursorganen (ZBO’s)’ on Sint Maarten, the Ombudsman, Dr. Nilda Arduin, presented the so-called ZBO-list to the abovementioned entities last week. The list is enclosed and is published on the website of the Ombudsman.
The legal basis for the foregoing are: article 78 of the Constitution, article 1 of the National Ordinance Ombudsman and article 2 of the National Ordinance Administration of law (LAR).
After thorough research and discussions, including ‘Ombudsprudence’ of the National Ombudsman of the Netherlands, the following main sources were used to establish the authority of the Ombudsman Sint Maarten:
- • Kaderwet 2007 (Netherlands);
- • Prof. Scheltema (Awb-Netherlands) concluded that the term ‘public authority’ is not adequate in relation to the authority of the Ombudsman;
- • Broad interpretation required as the Ombudsman is a safety net (protection of the people);
- • Ombudsprudence: in the general interest of the public the Ombudsman is authorized to investigate all actual behavior of private entities charged with government tasks (‘if it looks like government, it is government’);
- • Report ‘Klachtbehandeling bij uitbesteding van overheidstaken in de zorg (9 augustus 2010-RA1054269).
ZBO-list for Sint Maarten
The general criterion is that everything that Government pays for, decides about and organizes is subject to the same norms applicable to Government. As such the following criteria have been applied to establish the ZBO-list for Sint Maarten: legal basis/national ordinances, decrees and or contracts governing the pertinent entities; public interest/impact of the entity on the public and subsidy received from government.
The Ombudsman would like to expresses her gratitude to all persons that gave their input on the discussion on this matter, among which the Council of Advice, Law Offices Van Eps Kunneman VanDoorne Sint Maarten, the government department of Legal Affairs and Legislation as well as representatives of the various entities included on the list.
PRIVATE ENTITIES WITH PUBLIC AUTHORITY (ZBO’S)
- ALGEMEEN PENSIOENFONDS SINT MAARTEN (APS)
- BUREAU TELECOMMUNICATIE EN POST (BTP)
- BUREAU INTELLECTUEEL EIGENDOM (BIP )
- CENTRALE BANK VAN CURAÇAO EN SINT MAARTEN (CBCS)
- GERECHTSDEURWAARDERS (voor zover deze werkzaamheden niet onder verantwoordelijkheid van een rechter worden verricht)
- STICHTING KADASTER en HYPOTHEEKWEZEN
- KAMER VAN KOOPHANDEL (KVK)
- MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION CENTER(MVIC)
- STICHTING JUSTIËLE INRICHTINGEN BOVENWINDEN (SJIB)
- SIMPSON BAY LAGOON AUTHORITY CORPERATION (SLAC)
- SINT MAARTEN PORT AUTHORITY (SMPA)
- SOCIALE ZIEKTEKOSTENVERZEKERING (SZV)
- VRIJWILLIGERS KORPS SINT MAARTEN (VKS)
- SINT MAARTEN HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION (SMHF)
- PJIA OPERATING COMPANY
- SINT MAARTEN LABORATORY SERVICES (SLS)
- PHILIPSBURG JUBILEE LIBRARY (PJL)