If you have a question about Ombudsman Sint Maarten, you may find the answer below. However, if you still have a question which is not covered by our FAQs, please feel free to contact us at (+1) 721 542-1250 or send us an e-mail.
No, our service is free of charge.
No, anyone can file a complaint with the Ombudsman.
If your complaint is older than one year, you are advised to resubmit your letter to the department or ZBO for which the complaint was against.
No, if your complaint is being handled in a court of law, the Ombudsman is not authorized to handle your complaint.
No, the Ombudsman is not your lawyer. The Ombudsman investigates complaints filed against government and private entities with public authority (ZBO).
No, in order to do so you must first hire an Attorney at Law or someone authorized to practice law in a court of law.
For complaints against your employer (private sector) you are advised to visit the Labour Department and file a complaint there.
No, the Ombudsman has no authority to investigate complaints filed against those companies.
No, all complaints against lawyers or notaries can be filed with the President of the Joint Court of Justice.
See address and Email below:
Frontstreet 58 (The Courthouse)
Great Bay, Sint Maarten
General phone number of the secretariat in Sint Maarten:
(+1721) 546 6114
General fax number of the secretariat in Sint Maarten: (+1721) 542 5451
Indicate that the complaint is for the attention of the Supervisory Board (Kamer van Toezicht)
Kamer van Toezicht
A report is made of the findings and recommendations are issued.
A government entity is an entity (foundation, association or limited liability company) charged with public authority (government tasks).
A ZBO is a private entity with public authority. Examples: SZV, Rent Board & Sint Maarten Housing Development.
PRIVATE ENTITIES WITH PUBLIC AUTHORITY (ZBO’S)
- ALGEMEEN PENSIOENFONDS SINT MAARTEN (APS)
- BUREAU TELECOMMUNICATIE EN POST (BTP)
- BUREAU INTELLECTUEEL EIGENDOM (BIP )
- CENTRALE BANK VAN CURAÇAO EN SINT MAARTEN (CBCS)
- GERECHTSDEURWAARDERS (voor zover deze werkzaamheden niet onder verantwoordelijkheid van een rechter worden verricht)
- STICHTING KADASTER en HYPOTHEEKWEZEN
- KAMER VAN KOOPHANDEL (KVK)
- MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION CENTER(MVIC)
- STICHTING JUSTIËLE INRICHTINGEN BOVENWINDEN (SJIB)
- SIMPSON BAY LAGOON AUTHORITY CORPERATION (SLAC)
- SINT MAARTEN PORT AUTHORITY (SMPA)
- SOCIALE ZIEKTEKOSTENVERZEKERING (SZV)
- VRIJWILLIGERS KORPS SINT MAARTEN (VKS)
- SINT MAARTEN HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION (SMHF)
- PJIA OPERATING COMPANY
- SINT MAARTEN LABORATORY SERVICES (SLS)
- PHILIPSBURG JUBILEE LIBRARY (PJL)
You may file a complaint against the department or ZBO in question. Please note that the Ombudsman will only investigate the non compliance of the verdict and NOT the contents.
General regulation is a law. The issue of your complaint is regulated in a law or in guidelines established by government.
A policy :guidelines established by government to regulate a situation.
Before filing a complaint with the Ombudsman, you must first inform the person who the complaint is against. This must be done in writing and stamped dated.
A civil matter involving individuals or groups in a legal action.
A penal matter subject to punishment under the law; a criminal matter.